Monday, March 15, 2010

Best of Blue Beetle Ted Kord

My love of Ted Kord is fairly well documented here. I'm reading Birds of Prey and the new run of Booster Gold concurrently, and he features prominently in both (until he found out he had a heart condition in Birds of Prey and was brought back to life and killed again in Booster Gold, which is very sad and also a DICK MOVE, DC. Can't Ted catch a break?), so I've wracked up quite a few choice Ted Kord moments.

















Beetle, Robin, and Canary had to go take down the Condiment King (who, as I've said before, I'm going to marry in the future) and the three of them are attacked by some kind of super spicy and acidic condiment. Ted, whose love of food comes in handy for once, gulps down milk and recovers, and then sprays the Condiment King, saying "Got milk?" right before he does so. That is just the perfect thing to say in that situation.

I've worked in four different restaurants, and I have never seen milk come in a keg like that.


















Not only do I love that Ted said this, I also love that they planned that they were going to say it, apparently Booster Gold and Beetle had a conflict over who would get to say it, and then Ted goes ahead and says it anyway.















Most superheroes (the main DC ones especially) would never say something like this. They're noble and stoic and above such petty jokes. Because Beetle would say something like that, he's a lot more realistic and relateable.

You just know Batman would be thinking it, but he would never say it.

















Powergirl is talking to Ted and then leaves before the nurse can come in the room. When she asks who he was talking to, he says "nobody here but us heart patients." Ted always maintains his sense of humour, even in the face of the possible end to his superhero career. It's a little heartbreaking, but it's so Ted.

Let's just ignore Powergirl. She's freaking me out a little.

1 comment: