Saturday, July 24, 2010

My Favourite Costumes

Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)























There’s just something about Cass’s costume that I love. I think that first of all, it’s
because it’s not skanktastic. I also like the fact that you can’t see any of her facial features, which adds mystery. The Bat family, as a whole, is mysterious and Cass’s costume reflects that very well. I think more than that, though, it just illustrates who she is. She doesn’t really have a sense of humour, and she’s not really a fun person. She’s dark, she’s gritty, and she gets her shit done, just like the costume.

Batgirl (Stephanie Brown)

















Steph’s costume also really illustrates who she is. She’s a pretty fun-loving girl, and her purple costume really reflects that. Her costume is unique among the Bat-costumes in that it isn’t black, but it’s still immediately recognizable AS a Bat costume.

Robin (Tim Drake)























I’m not sure how popular the red and black Robin costume is with fans, but I love it. With the clashing red and green, it’s harder to take
him seriously. In that costume, he’s still the kid that goes, “Holy ________, Batman!” In the red costume, he’s a hero and a leader in his own right.

Black Canary (Chuck Dixon run, Birds of Prey)















During Chuck Dixon’s run on Birds of Prey, Canary got a redesign. I’m not a huge fan of the colours, but I like the streamlined look. She’s ready to fight some thugs in that costume. Her black leather costume is very divisive among women, but I don’t mind it. I recognize that it’s skanky and ill-conceived for fighting, but it’s still pretty mu
ch her trademark. I don’t like the strapless leather leotard,
but I don’t mind the high-necked, sleeveless one. Anyway, the Chuck Dixon costume is still my favourite. It had mysterious detachable pants though, which confused me.

Taskmaster (Gail Simone's run on Deadpool, Agent X)



























Taskmaster’s costume was redesigned for Gail Simone’s run on Deadpool. His old costume was more stereotypically villainous, but I like that as he kind of evolved into more of an antihero, his costume evolved with him into kind of an edgy, urban look. He’s still immediately recognizable as Taskmaster, but more accessible and less cartoony.

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)































Legacy characters are difficult because you have to make them recognizable as a legacy, but you also have to make them individuals. Jaime’s costume is a great example of that. The armour is beetle-like, marking him as a Blue Beetle, but it’s still so much different from the previous two costumes. I read somewhere that the patterns on it were based on Mexican wrestlers’ costumes, which was a nice homage to his Mexican heritage.

Nightwing


































I like the black and light blue together. It’s such a change from his Robin costume that it’s representative of his metamorphosis into a legitimate superhero. The design on the front also reminds me of the batwings, which I’m not sure is intentional but I kind of like as a throwback to his youth.

Harley Quinn


























Harley’s costume is a play on her name, but it still embodies her naïve and child-like nature. I don’t like it in and of itself, but I can’t see her wearing anything else.

Wonder Woman (Donna Troy)


































From what little I’ve seen, I like Donna as Wonder Woman and I like her costume. It’s still Wonder Woman-esque, but it’s definitely her own. I also enjoy the
epaulettes.

The Legion of Superpets














Look, I love their little capes, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment