Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lobo/Kara...OTP?


















I love Lobo's look of complete surprise. ALSO I'm pretty sure making Kara wear the biker gear was a fanservice thing. She started wearing the jacket to hide her identity, but she kept the jacket open pretty much the whole time, and she's not exactly hiding the Superman symbol here, either.

Also, the glasses make her look like John Lennon.
























I loved this issue of Spider-Girl SOLELY because May finally got over her stupid crush on resident dbag Franklin Richards.

Is it just me or his chest WAY bigger than it should be?
























I'm not going to get into a whole diatribe about what an idiot this guy is, but there are a couple of things I wanted to mention.
1. The homosexuality he is referring to is Felicia Hardy and her girlfriend. Larry makes it seem like it was somehow explicit, but it's really not. It took me forever to even notice that the woman with Felicia was her girlfriend.
2. I do find the reply here to be kind of missing the point. Comparing a same-sex relationship to the relationship you have with your same-sex parent is creepy and also irrelevant. It's not the same thing at all. I do appreciate that they were respectful and gracious in their reply.
3. I find that homosexuality in comic books is portrayed a lot better than in other media. Homosexuality is something that shouldn't stand out - it should just be seen as normal. A lot of other media (TV and movies primarily) make a big deal if they have gay characters, but comic books just have them interacting normally with others and each other.

This seems like a good segue into my Young Avengers story. While reading it, I kept noticing that the letters were always like "Hulkling and Wiccan are gay, right?" and I was always like, "I don't see it..." and then it turned out they were. I recently reread Young Avengers and it's so obvious in hindsight. The moral: my gaydar doesn't work on fictional characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment